Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A Time of Settling in, Slowing Down and Reconnecting...

 I love this time of year, a time of settling in, slowing down and reconnecting ~ those were words I used in my very first blog post three years ago on the 6th, and they ring so very true to this day! 
Lee, The Lake Stitcher, had a great post the other day, asking, "Why have we stopped writing?"
 
Well, I have three reasons for my lack of writing and stitching...My oldest, my middle and my youngest....and their crazy baseball schedules...
This past weekend was the final tournament of the fall season.  And despite it being crazy, I know we will all be missing it in another week or so.  Tryouts for spring have already begun and practices will begin in December.  My youngest will most likely take this spring off from travel ball and will be training over the winter so he can participate this spring in some Triathlons.  Considering he has a dream of becoming a Navy Seal, this may be more up his alley!
 
I have been working at the elementary school for three hours each afternoon since the middle of September.  They called me in as an aide to a special needs kindergarten student ~ what was supposed to be a five day job has turned into the end of November.  Once they have completed his evaluations and figure out his placement, I may be finished....or, they could ask me to stay for the remainder of the year.  It is a challenging and even exhausting position, but there is something about this boy...and even though it means I haven't been able to help out at the LNS, The Strawberry Sampler, I hope I am making a difference, not matter how small, in this boy's life. 
 
This past month has been tough ~ losing Cathey was hard for so many of us.  In the following week, my husband's aunt passed away, as well as a wonderful woman I knew growing up.  One of those women you look up to as another mother figure.  Although I am not one to wish time away, 2013 has been a tough year, and I am looking forward to the coming holiday season to reflect on all the changes life has brought and to dream about what 2014 may bring.  Taking the time to enjoy the beauty all around is a great way to soothe the mind and the soul...
My little guy is quite creative....these are a couple of his recent masterpieces...
 
I did manage a tiny bit of stitching...still working on Dog Lessons...
I had to add the blue around the bone ~ it just wasn't showing up well on my choice of fabric.  I also changed the heart following Forgive to red...couldn't bring myself to stitch a green heart...
And of course, I had to make the dog look more like Panzer...
Now that the schedule is settling, I hope to get back to stitching on a more regular basis...fingers crossed.
Sweet Myra gifted me with this adorable candy corn coaster for my favorite brew ~ isn't she clever! 
The fabric on the back is adorable!
A special thanks to Myra for the pumpkin candle you see on my sidebar...for Cathey, and so we always remember Pumpkin Day...you can read more about it on Myra's blog...
 
I am still trying to learn crochet.  Don't look at the bottom right corner, or you'll see I dropped a stitch or two!  Oops!
 
And of course, I can't leave you without a dose of Panzer...
 
The following seemed an appropriate choice, considering the end of the fall tournament season...it was a great season and I'll miss watching the boys play and the friendships the families have developed..
“And by and by Christopher Robin came to the end of things, and he was silent, and he sat there, looking out over the world, just wishing it wouldn't stop.”
― A.A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner

30 comments:

priscilla said...

Love your stitching ! I think I might have to stitch that one ! The photos of your boys, pup and fall are fabulous ! So exciting to be involved with your kids in their sports events !
Sorry for your losses.. hope you have a wonderful fall and holiday season !

Jane said...

Busy, busy days Catherine, it sounds like it's a good time for you for things to finish for this year and you put your feet up (I know ~ 3 boys and a husband = no chance!)
It's so nice that your family get to do things as a family ~ it's so easy to take things around us for granted and forget how special being united and having our loved ones around us truely is!
Nice stitching, yes I agree ~ NO green hearts, that's just not right!
Love your pics of Panzer, such an elegant dog and love how his paws are folded in, in the last pic!
Have a good week xxx

Lois said...

To date I've never managed to master crochet! Keep going it's looking good! Lovely pics both photos and drawings. Love how Panzer has his paws in the last one. I hope that what's left of 2013 is good for you and your family.

Linda said...

Great pics of the boys and countryside. Dog Lessons is looking good. I just finished Cat Lessons.

Linda

Deborah said...

Loved the pics of the boys and Panzer. Dog lessons is coming along nicely. Look forward to more posts.

cucki said...

Aww such sweet pictures..
And super sweet stitches too..
Big hugs x

Marie said...

Sorry for your recent loss. of your DH Aunt and your friend.

You need a rest from all of that baseball. Yo love it I can tell. :-) I always enjoy the pics of your cute boys.

I especially enjoyed the artwork that you posted.

Nice job on dog lessons, that is such a cute design.

Simply Victoria said...

Wonderful photos of your sons and the fall ones! Enjoy this time of reflecting and slowing down a bit : )

Christine said...

Definitely worth it to make a difference and you are!
So sorry for your loss, especially of someone to whom you looked upon as a mother.
Blessings
Christine

Beth said...

Catherine, a tough year indeed.

Jackie's Stitches said...

Your crochet looks wonderful!

So sorry to hear about the losses you've experienced. I didn't know Cathey. I can't believe I never stumbled on her blog. I'm sorry I missed knowing her.

Susan said...

Glad to see you posting again. Enjoy this time with your boys! And thanks for the beautiful fall pictures.

carol fun said...

I figured you were swamped doing things with your boys -- glad you can share all of these events with them. You never get a second chance to do that. And I understand the challenge of dealing with a child with special needs -- it takes a lot out of you - but I know you are making a difference in this child's life. Hugs!!

Pam in IL said...

Wonderful pics and great stitching progress. Now that the crazy schedule had calmed down, enjoy the slower days as they seem to go by way to fast.

Julie said...

What a rewarding time you must have in the school with the young man, helping him and his fellow students.

Your stitching project is coming along lovely.

Beautiful drawings, wishing your son good luck and I hope he can fulfil his dream to be a Navy Seal. One day I might read on here how proud you are that he has. :-)

Sharon said...

Hi Catherine! That was a great post by Lee. I usually don't post as much on my blog because I am not the world's fastest stitcher and I always think I am going to bore someone with trials of daily life-LOL

I am sure you are making a difference with the little boy at school. He has the perfect boy mom to watch over him :)

2013 has been a hard year in lot's of ways. So sorry for the loss of your aunt and I still can't believe Cathey is gone. I lost my in laws within 2 weeks of each other.

Love your little man's drawings and I love seeing Panzer-he is such a beautiful dog. Your dog lessons look great! Hang in there with the crochet!

Chris said...

Wonderful update. So nice to hear that the boys are doing great and Panzer looks happy.
I am sorry for the losses that you have suffered recently.
Lovely stitching.
Big Hugs!!

Margaret said...

I admire anyone who can be an aide to a special needs child. There was a special needs kid in my son's class way back in elementary school who needed an aide. Such a tough job, although it must also be rewarding. Good luck to your youngest in his new endeavors next year. I hope he enjoys doing triathlon. Navy Seal, huh? Wow! Lovely stitching -- love seeing Panzer in there! Sorry for your losses. Sounds like it's been a tough time for you recently. Big hugs.

Vickie said...

I love that you stitched Panzer in there.
That last picture of Panzer is great.

butterfly said...

Great photos Catherine , Love your stitching .
Sorry to hear it has been a sad year for you, some years are like this , but always have faith and hope.

You have a lovely famiy there enjoy your life to the full, and don't work to hard , hugs.

pam said...

So good to catch up. Love your fall photos.... Hugs

Mary said...

Wonderful post, Catherine.
You have been blessed with a beautiful family, great friendships and memories!

Panzer is an adorable addition to Dog Lessons. He can really pose....I love to see their paws tucked as he has them. My Rosie does the same thing.

Your fall pics are beautiful.

I'm sorry for your losses this year. It has been a hard year. May your faith and trust keep you strong.

As a Mom to 3 boys and a girl myself, I know that you are bringing a special part of yourself to the little boy at school. Your patience and kindness will be rewarded.

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Watching the boys play ball is so much fun! Loved all the pics and the artwork. Your stitching looks great and your crochet looks a bit like mine! We'll keep trying! So sorry for all the sadness this year has brought. I too am looking forward to a new year.

Angela said...

Love the way you have personalized Dog Lessons with Panzer :) I did the same when I stitched the Cat Lessons.

Sounds like you have been very busy but with 3 boys one can understand why.

Myra said...

Girl, I don't know how you manage to keep up with everything you do. I am happy to see that you grabbed the candle for Cathey. I am glad you liked the coaster and it could put a smile on your face. I have dog lessons to stitch too....maybe next year!

Carol said...

I don't think I could have maintained a blog at all when my three sons were at home, Catherine! It does take a long time and now that you're working afternoons you have even fewer hours to yourself. I'm glad you feel you're making a difference in this young boy's life--he is blessed to have you by his side.

I was just saying to my husband last week how hard 2013 has been. Not many good things to remember, that's for sure... I guess we just have to be thankful for our dear families and leave it at that for this year :)

Your dog lessons piece with Panzer is so cute--I should stitch that for my sister. Like you, she has a giant dog (a Bernese Mountain dog). Your fall photos are exceptional--amazing sunset in the second one!

Happy November, Catherine--count your blessings every day...

Sally said...

A lovely post with lots of lovely photos.

2013 has been hard. Losing my Dad back in January was awful and I'm not sure I will ever recover from it. Guess we just have to look to the future with some hope. At the moment I'm looking forward with some trepidation, to celebrating my 50th birthday next month and being thankful that I have, hopefully, reached it although it won't be the same without my Dad. All those firsts are so hard.

Sherry said...

Love Dog Lessons. I think I need to get another dog so I can do this one! I am so sorry that 2013 has been a hard year for you. I know it has been a rough year around here. I keep reminding myself that no matter how bad I think I have it, my life is someone else's fairy tale.

Melanie said...

I'm impressed you manage to blog at all with three active boys around. I have no children around and can't seem to find the time to do it myself! So what is my excuse, right?
I'm with you, sadly, in that 2013 hasn't been super great. I don't like winter much but I am looking forward to January nonetheless and the new year that comes with it. Hopefully next year will be better for all of us. :)

Heather said...

It is good to see you blogging again. It is hard with a busy household to blog. As a momma with a special needs little one. I know how challenging and rewarding working with them can be!
Your crocheting is looking great. My crochet a hat yesterday. It is so cute!

I hope your week is going well and that you have a great weekend!