Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Stitches, Snow, and Gifts!

Bbbbrrrrrr....it is cold outside!  The snow is on the way!  It will arrive this evening and will be falling here overnight. Tomorrow will be a day for staying in, staying warm and of course stitching!  I hope all of you that have already or are currently facing this storm are doing the same.

I finished the snowman by MollyMade over the weekend and hope to further finish it later today.

My new start is "New England Winter" This is what I was able to accomplish Sunday while the boys were watching football. (I was watching too - just enough to see my Packers beat my Husband's Eagles!)


Besides a trip to the grocery to stock up for the week, yesterday included a trip to the local Amish General store.  I picked up some of these beauties:
I also picked up some pins and buttons to used in finishing.  Can you tell by the colors that I am already looking forward to Spring?

Denise from Riverside Stitching was kind enough to nominate me for the Stylish Blogger Award!  I am  to tell you seven things you might not know about me. 
1.  I love chocolate!
2.  I like sheep.
3.  I collect antique oil lamps.
4.  I enjoy photography.
5.  I was once, if only for a brief second, on 48Hours.
6.  I lived for two weeks with the Cree Indians in the Canadian Arctic.
7.  My graduate studies were in Forensic Osteology (decomposing and skeletal remains).

A pretty random list of things! I am supposed to pass this award on.  However, I enjoy each and every one of the blogs I read, and cannot choose favorites.  If you would like to play along, feel free and consider yourself nominated! 

On Saturday evening, I remembered that I needed to go to my mailbox.  I was positively giddy when I saw this:
My friend Lainey sent me a package all the way from Scotland!  As soon as my boys saw it, they were excited as well.  They are amazed that I have friends from all over!  My little guy asked if he could open it.  Therefore, I didn't get a picture of the wrapped items, as he opened them too fast!  She included some chocolates for the boys and I don't think they even hit the counter before they were inhaled!  Look at the beautiful cards:
A cute snowman pattern (a snowman waiting for snow!) - Lainey loves snowmen!
And my absolute favorite:
Isn't he adorable!  I mentioned that I needed to find a special spot for him and my youngest grabbed him and took off running.  He placed him on the mantle in our living room and there he remains in a place where everyone can see him!  Thank you so much Lainey!!!  You made my day!!!

On a much sadder note, I am sure that everyone knows about the tragedy in Arizona this week.  Well, it hits pretty close to home.  The Green family used to live on the other side of our neighborhood.  Although I did not know them personally, some of my friends and their children did, they were neighbors and friends.  They knew Christina and from what they tell me, she was an amazing young lady.  They are coping with the news of what happened and trying to make sense of it - if that is possible.  Please keep everyone that was affected by this in your thoughts and prayers. 

Thanks for visiting.  I always enjoy reading all your comments!  Stay in, stay warm and stay stitchy!







17 comments:

Kathy A. said...

Wonderful, wonderful snowmen!
The tragedy in Arizona has affected many people. It is so very sad.

Sharlotte said...

The Arizona tragedy is so very sad. I am hoping that people will see how we need to live our lives as if it was our last day on Earth.

Just love your stuff from Lainey! How nice !!

Anna van Schurman said...

Can I call you Bones now?

Hazel said...

Very sorry to hear about that tragedy. It's a crazy world. Love your stitching and your gifts are wonderful. Keep warm. xx

Sue said...

I love your snowman finish.

Sorry to hear the Arizona shooting hits close to home for you.

It's freezing here too and we're getting ready for the same blizzard. Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow and it won't be a fun commute.

carol fun said...

Catherine- your snowman goodies are wonderful. I need to track down that "wishing-waiting-hoping" graph and frame -too cute. Snowmen are a weakness of mine - I have quite a large collection and need to get them out this week.

On the Arizona tragedy - it is so sad. I just received an email from my next door neighbor who has a winter place in Tucson just 2 blocks from the scene. He has worked on Giffords campaign and one of the men who was killed was a friend of his from high school days- they are in their late 70's and still close. I know that many of us are praying for the victims of this shooting.

Kathy said...

Oh what lovely snowmen. Both your stitched one and the wonderful gifts from Lainey!

valerie said...

AVS' comment made me laugh! The first thing that popped into my head was Bones. I like that show! The goodies from Lainey are great! We've been getting a lot of coverage of the AZ tragedy...just so sad!

Denise said...

Thanks for the wonderful idea! I went to my local Jo-Ann's this morning for fabric and I was left wanting. I can go to the local Amish quilt stores! What an idea - their fabric will be perfect!

Lainey sent you some wonderful items. The pillow is beautiful!

Thanks for sharing about yourself -

Margaret said...

Beautiful stitching! Love your present that you received too, as well as the fabric you picked up. I'm sorry to hear the Arizona tragedy hit so close to home for you. It's such a sad thing.

Siobhán said...

What a beautiful gift from Lainey! Great finish, too.

Congrats on the award. It was fun reading about you. Living with the Cree Indians... that must have been so neat.

The tragedy in Arizona is so sad. My heart just hurts so much for everybody. I just hope that seeing how much things can escalate will calm some of the vitriol on both sides of the political fence.

Carol said...

I'm so sorry to hear that the AZ tragedy touched some of your neighbors personally, Catherine. People's lives can change in the blink of an eye, can't they?

Your little snowman piece is darling as is Lainey's! I look forward to watching New England Winter appear on your fabric--so neat that you got to name it :)

Bridgidk said...

OMG!!!!
I LOVE your friendship snowman!!!
He is sooo cute!!!

Lois said...

What a lovely package of goodies you received! I'm looking forward to following your progress on your new start and I love the fabric you bought and the snowman is cute! It was fun reading your list of things about yourself. So sad about the Arizona shootings.

Sally said...

Your new start is lovely and I love your finish.

Your gift from Lainey is so cute! I received one from her too and it's on my mantle:)

The Arizona tragedy is just awful.

Brigitte said...

Your little snowman is such a cutie. And how fast you finished him.
Enjoy all the wonderful goodies from Lainey.

Ziggyeor said...

I love the snowmen and how nice that your boys were as excited as you were. I'm sure the snowman will be enjoyed on his place in the mantle.
I was saddened by the news of the Arizona tragedy and I hope you and your friends and neighbors are getting through it the best you can.