On Friday, April 8th we pulled the boys from school early and headed to Williamsburg, VA for a quick family trip before baseball schedules consume us again. Some of you may know that last year we gave up our vacation due to baseball. That's right....the week I was supposed to be enjoying the beautiful town of Boothbay Harbor, ME, I was instead in Indiana, PA at the 10U State level baseball tournament.
Even though we have been to Williamsburg many times before, we always have a great time. We spent many hours in the Colonial section (two of those were spent watching twin baby lambs being born - which according to my boys was awesome and gross all at the same time!) traveled Fort Monroe to visit the Casemate Museum, visited the Air and Space Museum in Hampton Roads and visited the historic section of Jamestown.
I told my husband we needed one of these in the backyard for the boys - they didn't think it was funny!!
The boys ventured into one of the original cells at the jail where Blackbeard's pirates were held. My husband decided to lock them in - again, they didn't think it was funny!!
The next pics show my lunch from Saturday - yummy!
Another favorite eating spot - we went to on Sunday, Peirce's Pit BBQ
While walking around on our last evening, we were discussing the ghost stories of Williamsburg. Earlier in our stay, the older two sat alone on the steps of the Peyton Randolph house (picture below).
It is rumored to be haunted and if you sit on the steps late at night, you can sometimes hear noises from within the house (don't ask how I know, cause you might think I'm crazy!) They made a bet with each other that whoever ran first had to pay the other a dollar - it was a draw as they both stayed put for 15 minutes.
Here is our little guy pretending to be a zombie. The picture is blurred as it was after dark and I wasn't holding the camera steady enough for the length of time the shutter had to be open. I thought it added to the picture though - that and the red eyes!
The next pics are from historic Jamestown.
The boys discussing the next part of our trip. We traveled to my BIL's house for a visit. The men all headed out to the see the Phils play the Nats in DC. Sadly, the Phils lost that game, but won the next two in the series. While the boys ventured to the game, I had an evening out with my SIL and my nieces to celebrate my birthday. I don't get much girl time, so you can imagine the fun we had!
We arrived home on my birthday.
The boys had picked these reproduction pieces out for me at the Jamestown glassblowers. The first is an Onion wine bottle and the second is a Lacemaker's Lamp.
(Peggy Lee, if you are reading this, stop drooling over the blue glass!)
I picked up this little tote bag in Williamsburg for a birthday giveaway. If you would like to have a chance to have this come your way, please leave a comment on this post. I am sure there will be some surprise goodies inside as well! I will pick a name on April 30th.
Oh, and as I was writing this post, my older two managed to break one of the chimneys from one of my antique oil lamps - how would that happen? Why, by playing with balls inside the house of course!! I guess I might need this after all!
Thanks for stopping by! I'll try to include some stitching pictures next time!



25 comments:
I love Williamsburg and the surrounding area. Such a wonderful place.
Peggy H.
www.neverenoughstash.blogspot.com
Glad you had such a nice time in Williamsburg. Your boys are adorable. Would love a change of winning your birthday give away. Have a great week.
I visited Williamsburg with my mother the summer before my senior year of high school; she thought it might be our last chance since life changes so much after that. What memories you've brought back - thank you! And please include me in your drawing. The bag would be a very pleasant reminder of our lovely trip.
That looked like a brilliant trip to Williamsburg. So much to learn about. I would love a chance to enter your giveaway. xx
Love the Williamsburg area. Haven't been there since my kids were young. Maybe I can get my hubby to visit there this summer.
Happy Birthday!
I would love to be entered in your giveaway!
Nancy
CosyStitchingCorner.blogspot.com
Oh I love Williamsburg!! Love it so much! That blue glass is gorgeous! Your boys have good taste! And a giveaway -- you're so sweet to think of us on your trip! Thank you! Happy birthday!
Looks like all had a great time in Williamsburg!The food sure looked yummy. The blue glass pieces are beautiful. Thanks for having a wonderful giveaway.
I can't believe I missed your birthday! Happy belated birthday! It looks like you all had a grand time. I am sure you made some special memories and had lots of fun along the way.
I adore williamsburg, VA. The pictures you posted are so nice. The food is always yummy. You husband seems to have a sense of humor which is important these days. I am sure he keeps the boys on their toes. Please enter me for the giveaway. Happy Birthday.
Love the trip and the tote bag.Please enter me in give-a-way. Makes me want to go, I have not been in years. Happy belated birthday.
Sounds like a fun trip. Your lunch looked delicious. would love for the tote bag to visit California.
Teresa's Heartfelt Stitches
A belated Happy Birthday to you! Love the photos of the boys in candlelight. I have now officially added Williamsburg to my bucket list. If you ever come to north Florida...you must take the boys to the Pirate Museum in St. Augustine and the oldest fort in the U.S. Thanks for letting me enter your drawing!
Happy Birthday! I love Williamsburg and it looks like you all had a grand trip! I'd love a chance on your lovely tote bag giveaway! It would be great to carry stitching! Thank you so much!
fnelson1@comcast.net
Happy Belated Birthday, Catherine! We used to vacation in Williamsburg every year when I was growing up and your photos sure brought back some great memories. I always wanted to do one of the ghost tours, but never got around to it. The older I've gotten, the more scared of haunted things and scary movies I've gotten so I probably wouldn't even be able to handle a ghost tour today :)
Glad you were able to have an official family vacation this year... Hope the boys' teams all do great this season!
Thanks for the giveaway--I'd love to be entered!
I took Third Treasure when he was in 4th grade and we had a great time too. Love the blue glass! Have a good season!
I hope your birthday was spendid! All the photos make me wish I had tagged along!
Happy belated birthday!
What a beautiful family trip, I love the photos you took!
Thank you for the giveaway, i'd like to be entered. I've posted it on my blog's sidebar: http://wagapapacreations.blogspot.com/
A big hug from Bilbao,
Noemi (mimideusto@gmail.com)
Such lovely photos!!!!
Glad you had a good time in WIlliamsburg. We have gone there many times and always find something new to see or learn about. We always had a fun time. Happy Birthday.
Looks like you had a fantastic trip:)
Love your header picture!
Having visited both Williamsburg and Jamestown I know what a great time you'll have had. I would love to visit again some day. Belated Happy Birthday and so nice that you got to share it with your SIL and nieces as well as your boys and DH. Great pics! Have a lovely Easter!
Belated Birthday Greetings. Loved your photo's of your fantastic trip. Thank you for your Birthday Giveaway. I've included it on my blog.
Mary Joan
http://maryjoanstitching.blogspot.com/
Boothbay Harbor is definitely a great place to visit but it looks like you found somewhere else just as good :o) Love the pictures!
Please enter my name in your birthday drawing and Happy (belated) Birthday Catherine!!!!
Happy belated birthday, Catherine!
What beautiful pics!! I am sad to say that I've never been to Williamsburg OR Jamestown. I loved visiting through your photos!
What wonderful vacation photos. I have been to Williamsburg and loved it. Have not make it to Jamestown but hope to one day. Love the blue glass. Just stunning.
Yep that little bit of wood sounds like it might be needed.
Post a Comment