Thursday, January 27, 2011

Wishing, Waiting and Hoping - No More!

This was such a fun and quick little finish.  I'm not sure yet how I will finish this piece.  But I can honestly say that after the last few days, I am wishing, waiting and hoping  - no more!  Up until now, we have been spared the brunt of all the East coast storms, but our luck ran out!

We were supposed to start yesterday with a rain/sleet mix. Well, imagine our surprise when we woke up to find about 8 inches of snow instead!  Round two came in the evening in the form of some sleet and freezing rain before turning to snow.  Snow that came down hard and fast!  My birds prepared earlier in the day - my feeder is hanging on a hook by the tree, under the dove on the left.
And by about 11:30 my back deck looked like this:
The tree normally doesn't hang that low, but was weighed down with the ice and snow.  It is perking up today as the sun is melting the pretty stuff from the branches.

After some intense shoveling, the kids (along with some friends) decided to build tunnels.  I remember when my brother and I used to do the very same thing - only we would put water on ours at night to make them ice over!
After coming inside to warm up and have lunch, the boys, and some friends, enjoyed a movie followed by an intense game of Nerf Gun Wars!  After picking up all their Nerf darts, they headed back outside for a snowball fight.  Hopefully the boys will be back to school tomorrow.  They have been home three days this week - one inservice day and two snow days!

I have not stitched any on New England Winter since my last post.  I felt the need to work on some Valentine's freebies and managed to get these done:
Aren't they sweet?  Jennifer from Feathers in the Nest designed these (along with some others) and was kind enough to share them on her blog.  Thanks for sharing Jennifer!  I am hoping to get them finished into little pillows/pinkeeps soon - when the boys are in school and I have a good stretch of quiet time!

Here is the Valentine's edition of "Truly Thankful" from Heartstring Samplery.  I am really enjoying this series and can't wait for the St. Patrick's Day edition!
I might hide some initials in this one - mine and my husband's, what do you think?  I plan to settle in this evening and put my needle to work!

Thanks for visiting!  I'm off for another round of drying snow clothes!  





19 comments:

valerie said...

Yikes...look at all that snow! Keep warm! Cute finishes!

Peggy Lee said...

Beautiful stitching!

Your deck looks...well...YIKES! That's far too much snow for my liking. Hope it all melts soon. Looks like the kids enjoyed it anyway.

Kathy A. said...

Wow, that's some serious snow.Glad you had some pretty stitching to keep you warm!

Kathy said...

Want some more snow?? I am on Long Island and we got more than a foot. On top of all the snow from two weeks ago that hadn't melted. :( I am so ready for spring.

Love your Valentine pieces. And I love the idea of putting your initials on the Thankful one. Perfect!

Lainey said...

So glad you enjoyed stitching WWH Catherine it has turned out so sweet. Love your Valentine pieces too.
The boys are just loving that snow!
Keep warm, hugs.

Margaret said...

Love your finishes! The snow is awful, isn't it? We've been hit with it over and over and over. The snow is now piled up so high it's ridiculous. Sigh.... At least the kids enjoy it, right?

Myra said...

Wow! You certainly did get some snow. Your boys look like they are having a blast with it. Love your finishes - especially the Valentine ones. Stay warm!

Carol said...

Oh, my, you guys really did get hammered with that snowstorm, Catherine! That reminds me of our February storm last year...

Love your little Valentine's day pieces and Wishing and Waiting.

I do hope you get a break from the bad weather soon!! Hang in there--I'm sure you're more than ready to get the boys back into a normal school routine :)

Lois said...

Oh my, now that looks cold!!! Great stitching! Your Valentine piece is looking lovely.

Karyn said...

You got a ton of snow too! Stay warm and safe, dear friend :)I am so over winter!
Your stitching is so perfect, Catherine, as always you inspire me :) I love Jennifer's designs, aren't they fun to stitch?
Look at those cuties, they are having so much fun! I miss those days :)
XOXO
Ma

BrendaS said...

Love your finishes.

We have been spared all the snow and I am grateful for that:)))

Sue said...

So sorry you got the snow. We were on the line and didn't get but a couple of inches (thankfully)

Bec said...

Oh gosh, look at all that snow!!

Beautiful finishes!

Keep warm.
Bec

Jennifer Ann Fox said...

OH HOW CUTE!!!! Lovely stitched up!!! sorry I've been so slow at blogging lately but I love, love , love your colors and finishes.....they will make lovely, cute pillowkeeps or pinkeeps for Valentines.

Jennifer
Feathers in the Nest

Sally said...

Love your snowman finish. So cute!

Those freebies from Jennifer are beautiful. I have these saved but not sure I'll get them stitched up before Valentine's Day. Love the Beth Twist finish too.

Wow that is a lot of snow! I want some!

Christine said...

So pleased to have found your blog as I love sampler work and your pieces are so beautiful!
Looking forward to following!
Best wishes
Christine

Brigitte said...

You have some very pretty little finishes. And oh, so much snow. We had this amount of snow back in November and December but I'm so glad that a lot of it melted away in January.

Friendship Crossing said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my recent post!
I love all your stitchy things too, but esp. that first snowmen unassembled ~ how cute!!!

Tanya

Siobhán said...

Beautiful stitching!

I gather you're getting more of the white stuff--AGAIN! On my home page, I have google set up to show the weather here and the weather in Wilmington and it's just been showing an icon of snow. Hang in there!